Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bridging the Gap = Changing Lives

"The human contribution is the essential ingredient.
It is only in the giving of oneself to others that we truly live."
— Ethel Percy Andrus
Today, I went home feeling extremely tired and my head spinning... yet my heart feels lighter than air.

Earlier this day, I volunteered for Manila Doctors Hospital's annual cleft lip, alveolus and palate surgical mission. Honestly, it was my first time to assist in a major operation so I was terribly anxious before starting the first operation scheduled at 7am. But thankfully, I was paired up with a really kind OR staff nurse who was able to guide me all throughout. Everything went smooth sailing, so they gave me a challenge by letting me be the Scrub (Nurse) 1st assist during the second operation with the same procedure to be performed. Everything was great... really! Although the surgical instruments used were just minor set, it was still a great experience because I was able to carry out my tasks well. The operations assigned in my OR suite wrapped up around quarter to 4pm.

Btw, the procedure done to my 2 patients is: Palatoplasty with Myringotomy with Ventilation Tube (VT) insertion.

It was indeed a fulfilling way of spending my usually 'lazy' Sunday... too bad I won't be able to join the last day of medical mission next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment