Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reconnecting to Reality

Listening to: Forever from the album Hillsong United (The I Heart Revolution)

Oh, hello OCTOBER! Truly, how time flies by so fast and soon enough despite all the success and failures, happiness and sadness, and all the craziness in between I still find myself surviving life. Thank you, Lord! :)

Which brings me to my usual habit of over-thinking things. Hence, I write (or type, for that matter).

I've meant to put up this entry last week, but I noticed that I literally flooded my blog with so much stuff in a span of days that I ought to save this one for today. Thus, here it goes...

I've had countless conversations with people about how they communicate with one another back when computers and the internet was still an idea yet to be conceived. Hearing their stories, it seems to me that people get along just fine without technology to aid them in getting their message across, though "snail mail" was, as it's name suggest, slow. But I think it's in the wait that makes people look forward to something either heart-warming, heart-wrenching, or any emotion elicited by the words enclosed in that simple piece of parchment, as opposed to how "instant" things are these days with technology.

In an era where most people are used to communicating electronically, either via social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, Yahoo Messenger/Skype/Google Talk, etc - well, myself included - it's no wonder that people no longer savor these kind of emotions. I'm not saying that it's totally wrong. For some, it works for them in a sense that they get to say what's truly on their mind without the hassle of going through the emotional turmoil of how to go about it in person. BUT ---

What I'm trying to say is: Don't you think that a better approach to life is to actually try to disconnect yourself online and try to reconnect with reality - to the ones that really matter? I believe that it's not in the countless friends you have online or the huge number of followers on any platform that defines who you are. Nor is it with the words you're able to impart with or without meaning.

I for one have a lot of "friends" on Facebook, but personally know just a handful of them - say... less than a hundred? And by personally, I meant I've known them for years and have shared my life experiences with them - not just mere acquaintances.

Communication is truly a gift to mankind. It's up to us how we use it to our advantage to nurture ties with one another. It's in the quality and amount of effort that we put into something that makes things more worthwhile.

Now, that sounds like a life well lived... right?

oOo

"They taught me how to imagine, and how to dream.
They gave me wonderful memories, and left footprints on my heart."
~ Jacquie McTaggart

"Don't wait. Make memories today. Celebrate your life!"
~ Author Unknown, from Life is for Living

oOo

Thanks to my mom, who's proofreading this entry with me. Hola!

No comments:

Post a Comment